12 June 2012

Chicken soup and triple chocolate cookies

I have been thinking about baking for some time now. We've been in our new place for just over 3 weeks, the oven has been tested (sweet potato fries and regular fries) and I've been meaning to bake. I've even promised to myself that this time around I'll actually take some of the baked goods to work. (Last time I ate almost the entire batch of cookies before Monday morning rolled around.) So, yesterday I finally got around to baking some cookies along with making chicken soup for dinner. Although, I made myself an omelet (spinach, mushroom, spring onion & cheese) because it sounded good and honestly when I read that Ana and Christian were having one for breakfast in Fifty Shades - Freed, I had to have one too.

The chicken soup was easy to make. I just chopped up some potatoes, onion and carrot and put them in the pot of water to boil. I added one vegetarian bullion cube (because I didn't have any chicken). When the veggies were almost cooked, I moved the pot off the burner and fried up the shredded honey marinated chicken. Then I tossed the cooked chicken into the pot to cook a bit longer with everything else. When I deemed the soup ready, I added a bit of cream cheese. Voila, dinner is served.

The cookies were just as easy. Years ago I brought a bag of Reese's Pieces to Finland from the USA and on the back of the package was the following recipe I used yesterday. But because I didn't have any Reese's pieces (ok, I have a few small snack packes, but not enough for cookies) I chopped up a white and dark chocolate bars instead turning these into Chewy Triple Chocolate Cookies!



REESE'S Chewy Chocolate Cookies

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups (2-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips

Directions
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; set aside.

2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in peanut butter chips. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake 8 to 9 minutes. (Do not over bake; cookies will be soft. They will puff while baking and flatten while cooling.) Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. About 4-1/2 dozen cookies.

PAN RECIPE: Spread batter in greased 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350°F 20 minutes or until set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars. About 4 dozen bars.


The batter smelled so good and looked so tempting and when I got some of it on my fingers, I just had to eat some of it raw. Yes, I know I shouldn't be eating raw egg, but I couldn't help myself!

By the time I got the cookie dough made up, I was starting to feel tired and heavy in the tummy, so I made the pan version for the first time. It was easy and the cookies turned out great. I was able to cut the cookies into bite size pieces, which is great for taking them to work. The more the merrier! And yes, about half the cookies made it to work this time. Although, I did have my own little container at my desk so I didn't have to share. LOL