01 March 2012

Went to the doctor for my cough

Like the title says, I went to the work doctor today to ask about my cough. I explained that I've had the cough since the beginning of the flu (almost 3 weeks now), it's quite painful and sometimes I cough so much and hard that I almost puke. It's not in my lungs, just my throat. Sometimes I can even cough junk up. (Yay for me, gross!) I haven't taken anything for it, because well, I'm pregnant and taking meds for stuff just don't occur to me very often. I did up my asthma meds during the worst of the flu, which is what I've been told to do. In all fairness though, as of yesterday, I do think the cough is sort of getting better. The coughing bouts are less and not nearly as harsh (most of the time).

The doctor said that there is nothing on the Finnish market that he can prescribe for me. There used to be something that could be prescribed in almost all cases, but it was pulled from the shelves and he doesn't know why. *shrug* Basically he said that I just need to wait it out and eventually I'll get fully better. He agreed with my upping my asthma meds and also recommended inhaling some steam (see, sauna is good!).

I was also able to get a referral to the chiropractor for 4 times. Aaaah, relief! (So long as I get a referral from the doctor for the chiro, my work's sickness fund will reimburse me for 80% of it! Double relief!) I believe that sitting and laying around for the entire week of my flu has helped my back to act up. Now that I'm feeling much better, I'm hoping to get back into walking more. (Just in time for the snows to be melting and icing up. Lovely!) I should also stretch a bit more.. I did a few stretches when I got home this evening and I noticed a marked difference already.

It's going to be another long day at work tomorrow. It's month end and a lot of the units I look after are closing in the afternoon, so I should get some beauty sleep so I can last the whole day.