23 March 2011

Friends & something new learned

Two friends & I drove to visit another friend this afternoon. It was great to see them all at the same time as it's rare for us to be able to get together. It's amazing how fast time flies when there is so much to catch up on.
Before meeting with the two today, I was wandering around the mall downtown for a bit. I went into a book store and saw Jean M. Auel's Earth Children series (The Clan of the Cave Bear, etc). Only her last name was written Untinen-Auel. I hadn't seen that before, so I whipped out my phone to google it. Turns out she was born to Finnish parents. I also learned that the 6th & final book in the series is supposed to come out on March 29, 2011. I guess that means I should read the 5th book first. I bought it years ago but I just never got around to reading it.
I was around 14 when I first read The Clan of the Cave Bear. I remember how I loved and devoured the books back then. My dad didn't want me reading them because of their adult content, but my mom didn't care. So I read them.
I remember being close to finishing the first book and staying up late to do so. As I finished the book my mom came up stairs to find me bawling my eyes out over the book. She comforted me and said soothing words, but that has always stuck with me.
Now that the final book is coming out, I wonder, should I .read the whole series again or just pick up where I left off?